Cashkaro.com has been one of my favourite online business model brands that has impressed me in recent times. They recently came up with two TVCs which has been going viral for quite sometime now. Though the pitch that brand made while launching these TVCs was that they are funny and highlighting their value proposition. However, I could also sense that these TVCs drive strong social message in a subliminal manner. In this blogpost, I will talk what’s so unique about their TVCs.
But, before that let me set the context by asking you all readers to think for a minute on brands that you remember have been successful to drive social message through their TVCs. I am sure many of you would recollect Tata Tea (Jaago Re campaign) or Idea (Latest campaign being ‘India ko no ullu banaowing’) or Titan (Remarriage campaign) and some of you would also relate to Amul’s billboards that try to cover the contemporary news. It has been a successful strategy for brands to leverage social message and build strong brand recall.
Let’s talk about how Cashkaro.com has tried to do the same. These are the two TVCs so far by the brand:
1) Hindu temple priest
2) Marriage event
Were you able to realize the social messages? If not, here is my take:
1) Hindu temple priest: Hindu is the predominant religion in India and people of this country have enormous faith in God. They consider the temple priests to be direct messengers of the God and blindly conduct whatever the priests ask them to do. One of the most common behavior of people visiting temples is to donate some cash on the puja plate. Some do it with the noble thought that this money would be utilized for temple’s development or the money would be used for a noble cause like feeding poor etc. However, many of them have a blind belief and enter into a cognitive deal with God that in case their wish gets fulfilled, they will donate X amount of money to the temple. Many prominent temples in this country earn crores of rupees in this manner. Some are well managed but, I am sure most of them have become a business model for so called wealthiest people around in the city / village.
I feel that this TVC highlights this area of corruption that is highly prevalent in this country and may be urges people to have a second thought before they blindly donate money to the temples.
2) Marriage event: Now, this is my favourite. Dowry, the hottest debate topic in India and also the most cruelest as it has led to many deaths. It is very well known that many women are tortured and even in worst case hacked to death in case her parents fail to provide the dowry that groom’s parents demand for. The situation depicted in this TVC is also one of the most emotional scenes in many Bollywood flicks. I feel this version tries to create an awareness amongst youth to avoid demanding dowry.
I feel these two TVCs have been a great output with best blend of highlighting social message and yet being funny for people to maintain interest. I won’t be surprised to see following themes in the future episodes of Cashkaro.com’s TVCs:
1) Kid and parent going to school / college for admission and the kid taking back few bucks as ‘cashback’ from the donation that parent pays to seek admission
2) A couple riding a bike being stopped by traffic policemen, husband paying bribe to get away fast and wife snatching back few notes as ‘cashback’
3) Jailor sneaking in few currency notes inside jail and taking ‘cashback’ from convicts
4) Youth being caught at airport by customs officer and the officer ‘earning cashback’ and allowing youth to sneak few products without paying custom duties
5) Election campaigner ‘taking cashback’ from the money that is given to voters (mostly a day before the election).
PS: This is not a sponsored blogpost. The promoters of Cashkaro.com do not have any clue about this blogpost, until they see it live.